Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Limbo


Limbo

1. often Limbo Roman Catholic Church The abode of unbaptized but innocent or righteous souls, as those of infants or virtuous individuals who lived before the coming of Christ.

2. A region or condition of oblivion or neglect: Management kept her promotion in limbo for months.

3. A state or place of confinement.

4. An intermediate place or state.

 

Word History: Our use of the word limbo to refer to states of oblivion, confinement, or transition is derived from the theological sense of Limbo as a place where souls remain that cannot enter heaven, for example, unbaptized infants. Limbo in Roman Catholic theology is located on the border of Hell, which explains the name chosen for it. The Latin word limbus, having meanings such as "an ornamental border to a fringe" and "a band or girdle," was chosen by Christian theologians of the Middle Ages to denote this border region. English borrowed the word limbus directly, but the form that caught on in English, limbo, first recorded in a work composed around 1378, is from the ablative form of limbus, the form that would be used in expressions such as in limb , "in Limbo."

 

I will be the first to tell you I am not a Godly man.  For better or worse, I have made my own peace with the modern religious ways.   I am not trying to enter into a theological discussion here.  We all have our own believe systems and I respect yours and I ask that you respect mine.   I do honestly believe that I am truly in Limbo. I am having a crisis not of faith, but in my mind.  There are two warring parties in my head.  On one side there is the old Billy b, the one rooted in his Midwestern up bringing that truly believes, I have no discipline, that I am lazy, and I am just making excuses why I eat.  Then there is the other Billy b, the on that says “no, no, no” you have an issue, either an eating disorder or an addiction.  Not matter what it is you can’t stop the eating.  I like it to the madness which ascended over the Gunslinger in The Wastelands when his mind began to split into two factions over the Boy Jake.  As written by the Master “At the edge of the campsite, Roland stood beyond the glow of the fire and listened as the voices of madness rose once more in his aching, confused mind.  There was a boy.  There was no boy. Was.  Wasn’t – He closed his eyes, cupped his aching forehead in one cold hand, and wondered how long it would be until he simply snapped like an overwound bowstring.”

Every waking hour, of my life since Saturday the 19th of October 2013 my mind has fought back and forth over this.  Am I descending myself into madness?  Can one really fall into madness when one is already mad?  Food for thought, but not why we are here today.

We are here to discuss Limbo. My definition of what it means to be in Limbo.  Which is odd because I am started off with the a rant on not being a godly man when all I really wanted to say is I think how the Roman Catholic’s defined Limbo hits pretty close to the state I feel I have been in over the last 10 days.  Limbo is on the border of Hell and well Hell is bad.  So limbo is bad.

But why is it bad.  Other than being stuck in a place you really don’t want to be.  How can I articulate?  I am terrified.  I see where I want to go.  I just don’t know how I am going to get there.  I am starting to wonder if I can get there on my own. 

To me being fat and losing weight was going to be this romantic story.  Everyone loves a great weight loss story.  I mean look at the Biggest Loser and the like.  They do great!  I was going to one day just wake up.  Meet that women of my dreams, write the great American novel, and make the decision to lose weight.  I would do it.  I would impress everyone along the way.  I would be featured as being the 400 lbs. man who went from Sofa to Iron Man.  Yes, I had Iron dreams.  Show me a triathlon who didn’t ever once even for one moment in time, stop to dream big about the greatest of all endurance events.   To have the chance to have the dot m tattooed on your calve.   I dreamed and I dreamed big.   I am a dreamer that is what I do.  I dream. 

See the story was perfect.  There she was watching the Iron Man world championships.  Yes, she, there is always a she.  She might change from time to time, but there is always a she.  Don’t ask me why she would be watching the IM world Championship but she was and the announcers would do one of those feel good stories about one of the athletes that had made it into the Kona race.  That athlete would be none other than the Kid.  The story would be simple.  At one point he was too fat to comfortably fit into his car, but today, he is chasing greatness at the most famous of all triathlons.  They would show picture of when I was a fatty and when I would hobble over the finish line.  Then they would cut to a picture of me coming out of the water svelte and cat like quick.  Of course in proper race fashion I would be sporting mutton chops and either the Abe Lincoln or a nice Van Dyke.  I mean fatty or svelte after all a man must race with the proper facial hair, it is just the decent thing to do.  I would finish.  Not win, not even place, Hell I would probably be the last in my age group but it wouldn’t matter. I would finish the most grueling race of them all.  The dream would be completed.  She would wonder who I was now, and what had changed, how I’d changed.  Be so impressed that I had done it.  I had chased Iron and won.

That was the dream.  To some extent it still is. However, I don’t think the story is as beautiful as I once thought it would be.  It could be, but I am 99.9% sure that when I lose 60 pounds, I will have gastric bypass and the beauty will somehow be lost.  Perhaps at that point my Iron dreams will go as well. I just don’t know because I don’t know this new story ends. 

I think we are off track.  We aren’t here to talk about the dream, or how the dream is supposed to play out.     We are here to talk about Limbo and as always I have somehow gone way off the tracks. I don’t know maybe I think you need to partially understand where I want to go.  To somehow try and understand the madness in which I live my life. 

To me Limbo is terrifying state and I want to try and describe that.  I just thought the actual definition was cool and we have gotten so far off course starting to wonder what the point of this rant was.

Here is Limbo to me… Remember is a border on hell and the fringe… 

I have survived at this point countless open water swims.  I have swum in the Pacific Ocean 9 times during an actual triathlon event.  That is roughly at least 4 to 5 miles of open water swimming.  If we know one thing about the kid, we know that his swimming is his rock.  His strength.  His gift for gliding in the water might be greater than even his ability to make shit up and lie through his teeth and his gift for tale spinning on the page.  Look, we aint talking grammar here people. I couldn’t pass first grade grammar or spelling.  I am terrible at both, but you have to admit, when you read Billy b, he grabs you, you want to read more.  You like his gift of gab.  The Kid, The Writer, The Tale Spinner, Story Teller whatever you want to call me, has a certain amount of talent.  Will I ever be published probably not?  Will I ever make money writing most certainly not, but I love to write.  People like to read.  I do have a small cult following.  Even if it is only Dorothy (if she is bored), Rachel (b/c she has not choice), Jill and the people who used to report to me at Callidus.  However, they are a following.  However, the point is I swim better than I write.  I swim strong.  5,000 M in two days and three hours.  That is pretty fucking good.  I am no Michael Phelps or anything, but I am a Black Fish.   I was telling Amy this the other day, I actually feel more at home in the water than on land.  I am starting to believe the pool is my natural habitat.  Yes, I am saying Billy b is indigenous to water. 

However, as strong as I am in the water, notice I say one thing and one thing only about these open water Pacific Ocean swims, is that I survive them.  They are terrifying for me.  Not because I don’t think I can do the distance.  No, no, no.  However because as a dreamer.  I tend to believe in a little in the supernatural, occult, and fringe.  Therefore, I think it is very possible in a universe or more properly universes that are infinite that the likely hood that there are things such as Aliens, Ghosts, Unicorns and dragons could actually exist.  If one believes there is a likely hood these mythological entities can exist, then can’t one believe that Sharks really exist?  Is it not possible that in the vast oceans of this world and the next one over that there possibly be a man eating fish?  I mean like Nessy and Big Feet’s it is on the outer rim of possibilities, RIGHT? 

So, in truth, I am terrified that when I am swimming in the Pacific Ocean, that one of these fantastical creatures (Shark, not Big Feet) is going to get me.  Seriously, go to my face book page; look at me in a wet suite.  Then go to Pear 39 and look at the Sea Lions.  We look an awful lot alike.  However, I might have a little bulge on them.  So if these sharks eat these Lions of the sea, then couldn’t they mistake me for one and get me?  I am big, I am juicy, and well, perhaps the strongest swimmer in the pack, I am slowest.  I am sure these sharks sea pack of neoprene men swimming by they ain’t going to go after the smallest one and fast one.  No, they are going after the slow one.  It’s just common sense.  So, yes, I have an irrational fear of being eaten by a mythical creature known as the shark.  I am convinced they will creep up on me from the deep and take a big as bite out of me and pull me down into the depths.  Fear is fear. Once it has wiggled into your mind, it is very hard to get out of the mind.  So, no, I don’t fear kelp.  I don’t fear drowning.  I don’t fear freezing b/c gods know swimming along the California coast is fucking cold.  No I fear, being eating by a shark.  That is why in some circles they actually call me shark bait and think it is funny.  It isn’t.  

I tell you this because I know how these creatures of myth work.  I know if and win I was a shark, when, I would attack the slow seal.  When I would make my move on it and capture my prize.  I would do it when the creature was in Limbo.  Ah, see it all comes back to the brink of hell or the fringe. 

Let me tell you where my true limbo is in these swims.  Every tri I have swum in did follow this pattern:

·         Swim out to a buoy. 

·         Hand a Left at said buoy, and swim to the other buoy and

·         Hang another left and head for shore. 

If you are still reading at this point, then you know I have an irrational mind.  If you know me, you know I have an irrational mind.  You know that whatever goes on in the rat trap between my ears and above my neck and chins is not rational.  It is like fucking Oz or the 7 kingdoms.  Some of it is beautiful and downright magical.  However, a lot of it is terrifying and dark and right now the dark is brighter than the light. 

Also, we are talking about fear here, irrational, uncontrolled fear.  Fear is fear and by definition it doesn’t have to make sense.  So, I have somehow in my demented little mind convinced myself of the following:  The shark won’t get me on the way to the first buoy, that is safe, I am ok there.  So on the way out we are ok.  Also, the shark won’t get me on the way in from the 2nd buoy.  No, no, no.  That is safe too.  Obviously these creates are myth are smarter than dragons and everyone is smarter than Big Feet’s.  No, he will get me when I am the most uncomfortable and when I have the most fear.  He will get me when I am in the vast wasteland that can only be known to this swimmer of Tri’s as Limbo.  The very border of hell itself, the swim between point A and B, buoy to buoy, the journey in and out is safe, but the journey across is not. 

I have no idea how in words to describe the terror I feel when I am crossing through Limbo.  I just can’t do it.  I am physically unable to convey the fear.  However, I am convinced when and if it happens, it will happen here, in no man’s land, in my Limbo.

One could make many a theory on this… why this is the sport it would happen.  Inevitably, this is where the pack thins.  I swear every try I have swam in, it’s like a party at the fucking buoy.  Grown men turn into fucking morons and forget how swim.  It’s like we are fly’s and the buoy itself is a giant fly trap.  People just swim right into the damn thing.  Lots of people stop to catch some breath.  Others I don’t know stop to pee.  I don’t know.  It is a complete and total fuck-a-roo at the first buoy. 

So the pack thins.  So as you are crossing into Limbo, you are usually swimming alone.  Or you sure feel like it.  So alone and looking like sea lion.  Aren’t we just asking for the shark to come and get us?

You’re tired.  I am always tired at the first buoy.  It could be the shock of being in freezing water and your body has not quite adjusted yet.  I don’t know.  It’s the yin and the yang of it I guess.

It is the only time you are swimming against the natural flow of the water.  Normally, no matter what the conditions are the water is going in and out, and you are trying to go in and out with it.  Not in Limbo.  You are swimming completely across current.  So not only are you normally alone, tired, and scared.  You are also being pushed back and forth, forth and back.  Like you’re trying to swim in a giant hammock, and you’re looking for the next buoy because you want to get out Limbo so bad, because you are stupid you should have never done this stupid fucking race.  You know in your heart the shark is coming for you.  It is only a matter of time before he gets you.  You start to panic, because all the sudden your wet suite is taking on more water than it should.  You feel like you are going to drown.  You’re a terrible swimmer, what are you doing out here.  You can’t do it you won’t do it.  It is over and it ends with sharp teeth and drowning.  Is there really a worst way to go then drowning? 

The by some chance you are at the 2nd Buoy.  You are turning for home.  You are out of Limbo for now.  Because guess what if you are doing the PG Oly, you got to do this fucking twice.  So 9 Tri’s but been in Limbo at least 12 times.  FML.  However, you some how you find the strength and do it again and you face Limbo head on.  God damn it you do it because it is what you do, you are the Billy b, the Kid, the Blackfish.  So, you walk in the darkness one more time, and you make it back to shore.  However, it is terrifying. 

Why is any of this relevant? 

Why are we even talking about Limbo?  We are talking about Limbo because that is where I am today.  I am on the border of myself induced hell.  I am a man with a divided mind.  There is a problem with you eating; there is no problem with your eating.

I realize that right now I am playing for keeps. 

I realize that what comes out of this Limbo is not a safe swim back to shore.  No, no, no.  What comes out of this none stop rocking of the hammock is something far more than anything I have ever had to face?

I realize that in this Limbo the choice so much bigger because this swim to shore if I choose to swim to shore is the swim for my life.  It doesn’t really matter what you call my unhealthy relationship with food.  Addiction, disorder, no discipline, it is all moot.  The only thing that matters is if I decide to turn and swim to shore. The only thing that matters is for the first time in 37 year and 361 days if I am finally willing to admit, I can’t do this my way and I can’t do this alone.  So, this crisis in my mind, this, this cross into and out of Limbo, the choices I do or don’t make will determine the rest of my life.  I am playing for keeps and I shall finish this game. 

I need to make choices on work, higher powers, the right step for me and no one can tell me what to do.  I have to grow up and be a big boy and make the decisions myself.  I have to get busy living or get busy dying.  It is really that simple.  Here as we close in on my 38th birthday, I am must make want to come out of this Limbo, I have created for myself.  I must walk alone and find out really what am I made of.  Hero or goat…  I have always thought Hero. 

I don’t know what my next step is.  I really don’t, but I know this.  I am coming out of Limbo.  I am going to live the life I was born to live and become the man I was born to be. 

I choose life.  I choose to conquer a divided mind.  I choose that I won’t let Limbo have me.  I won’t be the shark bait.  However, words are easy and we have said it all before, I know.  But I want to believe.  I choose to believe.  Life is risk.  Life is worth taking risks.  It is time for me to deal with the demons.  It is time for me to dance with dragons and sharks, and everything in between.  It is time to put Limbo behind us!




No comments:

Post a Comment