Sunday, December 14, 2014

Don't let your meat loaf...




Billy b - Colts Fan?  or Wild Stallion getting geared up for a ride!


"Don't let your meatloaf!!!"

- Doc Burkle on queue any time a member of his family asks him about meatloaf!

[ Duke Narrating ] There is
no way of explaining the terror I felt.

- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Film


The fear I felt yesterday afternoon was real enough.  I will admit I was down right scared.  The quote above from one of my all time favortie movies doesn't even begin to really qualify it.  I was down right scared and I was sitting in my office trying to find some way not to go through with the recipe I was about to do.  That is right.  I was scared of a recipe.  More over I had lost all the serenity from the drive home the evening before.  How can one not be calm and happy when he has a sky like this to lead him home on a Friday night:









But that beautiful sky did little and less for me when I realized for the first time in the last month I was going to be cooking a meal for the week that didn't include just turning on the crock pot and walking away and coming back 6-14 hours later and letting it be done.  No, I was going to have use the oven and I was scared.  Really scared.  What if I fucked up?  Well then again, this was coming off me going  0 - 2 with potted roast.  Last weeks was  rubbery and over cooked and 90% found its way to the garbage can.  Perhaps me and roast aren't meant to be -or- perhaps you can't fill a crock pot so full you barely get the top on.  I really thought it would cook down.  However it didn't.

I had decided on Friday afternoon to try to make a meatloaf.  Now don't get me wrong, I was not making mom's magic loaf (really no one does the loaf better than Mom Carol, NO ONE!) and that isn't just because Doc gets to us his line "Don't let your MEAT loaf!"  If i have to explain that one to you then it is already lost on you and you need to just walk away.

So to be honest I was scared.  I wanted to use the crock pot.  I can't actually cook can I?  No only that I had chosen and over ambitious side recipe as well:  Maple Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash.

Then I said you know what, suck it up butter cup!  Let's give it the ole college try, and so.. we did just that...

we started with the Maple Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash:


First I mixed crushed pecans, bacon fat, cinnamon, salt into a bowl.




then I added the butternut squash.



then I added the diced bacon.


Then i mixed them and got out the baking dish


Then it was ready!



Then, I turned my attention to the loaf itself and well things got a little... well... tough.. fucking cooking is hard god damned work...


start with a big package of meats !  I do that everyday, sorry sorry



A big bowl

a little bowl

two slices of bacon

then you dice that bacon

then you get two eggs... not sure why I have two egg pictures, maybe... b/c my camera went nuts and took 78 eggs pics...



I added my eggs to the big bowl and then I dumped in my diced onion.


on top of that I added garlic powder



Then Onion Powder


then Garlic, but you can' see that here



then almond flour

then meat

Then I started playing with my meat and rubbing it, grinding it and slapping it


oh, had to get the maple bacon butternut squash thing out of the oven


Then I pound my meat into to little loafs!






We covered the loafs with bacon...



we let them cook...



when they were done we covered them with homemade BBQ sauce!

 







then we served it to myself with the butternut squash 



IT was pretty darn good!!!!  Even when I reheated it for leftovers today it was pretty damn good!!!!  The squash stuff is all gone, I housed that today too.  I makes a great side, dessert, you know it.

Today on the menu:
Billy b simple omelet
Beef Spare Ribs
Honey Glazed Carrots
Honey Glazed Squash
The green smoothies for Breakfast for the week :-D

Busy weekend so far but a damn good one...

I am not sweating the weight gain yesterday.  These things happen.  What I do need to find is time to walk. I have to exercise.  I am thinking about master swim again too. Perhaps I need to get myself into a program.



No comments:

Post a Comment