Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Forget Happy Hour at PF's, let me tell you about my favorite happy hour!

Our auditors had us for drinks last night to celebrate the end of a tough quarter!  So we had a lil Happy Hour with then at PF Chang's at 4:3".   It was a good celebration.  I even bumped into an old friend there.  However, my happy hour didn't start until after 8 and it was in Willow Glen not Pleasanton.  It wasn't at PF Changs or any bar it was at the SJSRC.  It wasn't an hour it was an hour and seventeen minutes.  There was no beer, shots, appetizers, nope just water, lots and lots of water.  At PF Changs I sipped water and had a few appetizers but I was saving myself for later than night and the 1800 meters I had a date with.   So I dropped Amy at home and I went to the gym.  There I proceeded to do a kick work out that I'll never forgive myself for because kicking sucks but I know it pushes me and I need to be pushed.  

This week I've already logged 4,000 meters and over 3 hours in the pool.  This 52,000 meters is an obsession.  I'm committed to kicking its ass!  My body hurts but it's a good hurt!  A real good hurt!  I'm going to crush this goal!  I will crush all goals!

The swim: 1:17 time 

Ps - I know it says yards below but I swim in a meter pool :)

Category: Intermediate

Workout Goal: Improve kicks and timing

Total Distance: 1800 yards

  • 400 yards freestyle warmup
    (choice of strokes)
  • 200 yards crawl alternating lengths of pull and kick
    (on the first 25 pull only, on the second 25 kick only, repeat -- do not use a kick board)
  • 4 x 100 yards flutter kick arounds
    (one length each of kicking on stomach, left side, right side and back -- ok to use kick board)
  • 4 x 50 yards crawl, resting :15 between
    (count 3 kicks per arm stroke)
  • 2 x 100 yards IM kick only
    (with or without kickboard)
  • 400 yards freestyle warmdown
    (swim choice of strokes slowly)

Notes: On the 200 yards alternating pull and kicks, do not use a kickboard. Instead hook your thumbs together and hold them out in front of you with face in the water. Lift face out of the water to breath as needed.

This workout is a total of 1800 yards and 700 of those yards are kicking. With the exception of the IM kick drill, it is ok to use swim fins if you like. Swim fins can help to strengthen your leg muscles by adding resistance and making your muscles work harder. You do not have to use swim fins though and the swim drills are sequenced so that you alternate some swimming with kicking.

IM: Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Free

No comments:

Post a Comment