Monday, March 21, 2016

Page 81


Book of 2016
- Page 81 - 


It started off like any other Monday.  It was a normal day.  Work was cruising along.  All, I could think about was getting home, and watching some TV.  I just wanted the day to pass.  Monday's are like that.  Monday's can be hard.  You just want it to move on.  

I started sending a buddy at work IM's about laying off the booze for 30 days.  We did a little back and forth with some jabs.  Then he jested he wouldn't drink until I lost 20 lbs.  He was one of the guys who was in on the Billy b challenge and a big supporter.  So he asked me what I did today to get him his booze back.  He asked if I was taking that Dog for a walk? I told him no, b/c I didn't have the dog.  Plus, I had a nice walk yesterday and a good swim the day before.  So, I was not sure if I was going out today.  I told him I was logging my calories.  I was cooking for myself and that I lost three pounds over the last three weeks.  

He told me he was proud of me.  That there was nothing harder than what I was doing today.  That I needed to keep it up. Then he was like go force yourself to sit in an OA meeting.  He was like where are you on that.  Do you need support?

I instantly found myself making excuses as to why I have not looked into it.  I was thinking of all the reasons why OA wasn't for me.  God.  Strike Plans.  I don't have a problem.  Etc... Etc.. Etc... 

so I was honest and said I do need help.  I have been dragging my feet on it.  That is when my IM blew up:

He said:  "Fremont 7PM on Monday
Dont
Hayward Tuesday 630
San Jose Tuesday 7PM
Sunnyvale  Wed 7PM
San Jose Friday at 630
Mtn View 8:30AM SAt
San Jose at 10 AM on Sat
do just one Bill
just check it out
you got to attack the mind on this
working out is great...but you got to figure out why you're doing it
Just do one for me
Hey..I have another idea
talk to one of the sponsors on the phone"
 
I responded with: I will look into it I have to get an email out for work, which was true. 
 
He Said: okay..report back
no escuse
 
I responded with: I said Saturday at 10 a.m.  
 
He Said: actually....that's in spanis
they have one in Newark at 10:15
or sunnyvale at 9
Sunday in Mtn View and Santa Clara around 9
 
 
I responded with: looking into it. 


He said:  they have on line meetings...you just dial into....don't even have to talk
 
I responded with: that sounds fancy!
 

He Said: you got 30 minutes to think about what next step your committing to
1PM PST...I want you to tell me what you're doing
  
your gonna call that woman today...or you're gonna attend on line
or you're gonna commit to go to a meeting
that's what I'd prefer to hear..jump in w/ both feet to at least 1 meeting
stay open
the only thing you have to lose is weith
weight
alright I'm out....1PM jack
one last option
 
this might be good to..it's about half way down on that podcast link...
Sound Bites from Overeaters Anonymous: A 12-Step Solution to Compulsive Eating
 
“Sound Bites from Overeaters Anonymous (OA)” was an Internet radio show that aired October 17, 2012 to January 9, 2013 on VoiceAmerica.com. It is dedicated to educating you about recovery from compulsive eating using OA’s 12-step program, so you recognize the symptoms and find the support you need and a program that works to help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. (In keeping with Tradition 6, OA does not endorse nor is affiliated with Voice America.)
 
Introducing Overeaters Anonymous
Compulsive eating, or food addiction, can wreak havoc in your life in so many ways. It affects your weight and your health, your relationships, your job, and your self-confidence and self-worth. In our first episode of this series, we will explore the symptoms of this disease and talk with Overeaters Anonymous members who, after years of misery, yo-yo dieting, obesity and other health issues, have found recovery using OA’s 12 steps and group support, not only achieving weight loss and long-term maintenance of a healthy weight; but transforming their lives in ways they never could have imagined.
Listen Now - Introducing Overeaters Anonymous | Download
you could listen to these on your commute alright you can obviously see I'm a misplaced therapist....I've got the codependent gene
Just tell me to back off when you had enough...I won't take it personally
 
I responded with: I am going to do a call at 10 p.m. tonight.  
 
He said:  okay cool.....
I think this will be a strong step
lets talk tomorrow....I want to hear about it
 
i have to admit, I was pretty impressed with how much work he did without being prompted and just to help me out.  That is a pretty good friend.  I felt pretty good about that.
 
Plus I took the next step as well. I dialed into the call.  I spent over an hour over the phone just listening. 
 
I learned that there are a ton of people out there who have issues with food.  I also learned that I think there is a lot I can learn from attending some meetings.  It is a much better experience than what I had the first time I attended a meeting. I also decided I would attend another meeting.  

So much for a typical Monday.  It was a great first step and a great start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment