Sunday, January 24, 2016

Page 24


Book of 2016
- Page 24 -



[To a bartender, while drinking.]
Fox Mulder: "I'm the key figure in an ongoing government charade, the plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power, that reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet, so, of course, no one believes me. I'm an annoyance to my superiors, a joke to my peers. They call me Spooky. Spooky Mulder, whose sister was abducted by aliens when he was just a kid and who now chases after little green men with a badge and a gun, shouting to the heavens or to anyone who will listen that the fix is in, that the sky is falling and when it hits it's gonna be the shit-storm of all time."

1-24-16

The truth is I am not  nearly as fired up for the X-files rival tonight as I was about the rebirth of Star Wars or even when I found out the Twin Peaks was getting a 2nd chance.   Make no mistake I am excited.  Make no mistake I will be watching over the next six episodes and hoping for a 3rd Movie at some point.  However, the truth is I have often been very critical of Chris Carter.  I to this day feel like he has lost his way.  I feel like he built something and had no idea how to finish it.  He left so many questions unanswered.  I came to the show as a late fan, but when I became a fan, I was a loyal one.  Garrison "Uncle Gary" and I watched liked religious zealots.  Going to the video store late at night looking for any episode we could get our hands on.  The formula was simple.  A good dip, and the X-files and that is all you needed.  Uncle Gary and I also each drove two hours to watch fight the future together in West Lafayette.  Why, b/c we were fans.  WE would call each other after college to see what the other thought.  So, I wasn't surprised when Uncle Gary texted me before I could text him.  I had been thinking about sending him a text all week, asking if he still wanted to believe. I know I did.  There are certain movies, songs, and TV shows that change your life.  When I was 15 the  Godfather changed my life.  I was 15, and obsessed with a girl that I thought I would love forever. I was miserable.  I was on Spring Break my freshmen year in Orlando.  When I walked to the video store with Chris Flack (happy b-day btw flackster!) and I picked up the Godfather.  I remember starting it and being mesmerized by it.  It fixed me.  I forgot about her, the first of man hers.  It gave me my confidence back, and the rest was history.  I spent my high school years wanted to be a gangster.  Wishing I could pull the strings.  If you read yesterday's blog you got a little sense of that dream.  In 1997 I borrowed a CD from my good buddy Chip.  It was The Jerry Garcia Band, double album, the name escapes me know, however, what doesn't escape me or what never will is the Jerry's version of "Tangled Up in Blue".  From that moment on, music came a live to me.  It was something more than just background noise.  It was art.  I would become a big dead head over the following years.  I am not sure how much money I have spent on Dead music between listening to that song and now but it is a lot.  A love affair was begun.  Then there was the X-files.  The watched the first episodes after the NFC Championship game.  Green Bay won, I hated that.  I didn't like them.  It was a strange episode one about a tree who would take people.  The tree was alive.  However, once again I was hooked. I like Mulder and Scully.  I liked the suspense and the unknown.  However, it was later when I was introduced by Mark Kemp and Uncle Gary to the alien colonization storyline and now I was really hooked.  That is when the late night video runs started.  That is when I had 5 years of tv to catch up, b/c damn it a movie was due out the following summer and I needed to know.  I needed to know the truth.  My mythology is some strange mix of King, X-files, Star Wars, and the Music of the grateful dead.  So, here we are tonight, waiting for this awful NFC Championship game to get over so the X-files will come on.  Again,  I cross my fingers and hope that this can capture my attention how the Walking Dead, Supernatural, and Game of Thrones has.  TV has changed so much since the last time the X-files was on TV.  I am hopeful!  Fingers crossed!  However, I will leave you with a rant form 1999.  A young Billy b back then who was going to build his own mythology much like Chris Carter.  I was bitter when they replaced Mulder.  I was bitter Carter kept changing the direction of the show.  But here we are I am still a fan and I am still waiting to watch.  Most of all I still WANT TO BELIEVE!  The Truth is Out there.  Trust NO ONE...



11-7-99

My life has been a lot like bad fight lately, as soon as I recover from a sucker punch I get kneed in fucking nuts.    As if the last week and a half had not been hard enough for me lately.  Having to deal with that wedding in Hollywood and all, and for crying out loud I am sure the fuck not talking about Jennifer and Brad's wedding.     One of the greatest minds in TV, or in any art for that matter was lost late last week.  He was one of the very first people to truly inspire me to free my mind and not to fear my creative side.  Instead he taught me to embrace it and run with it.  To not hold anything back, if my mind to have fang-snarling monster running around the city with big swords fight alien beings with super natural powers then those to say fuck it and put it down on paper.  I mean after the man wrote about little green men, whom had over taken the government, as we know it only to set up a colonization to create alien-human hybrids to spawn the future of our planet.  He was truly a founder of mythology, and his passing will be mourned.  Chris Carter, the creator of "The X-Files", sold out last week, when he inevitably gave up creativity, respect, and loyalty in order to make a few extra dollars.  In the mind of this X-file fanatic, he committed the ultimate sin, by replacing our hero Agent Fox Mulder, with that fucking idiot who is most famous for chasing some young fuck around a city and getting asta la vista by Arni in T2, I mean what the fuck was this guy thinking.  If he could not pull it of with fucking Spindler how is he ever gonna pull this off.  Do me a fucking favor would you and take into consideration the mythology, the fans, and for Christ sakes your fucking self-respect, I mean what the fuck are you doing.  He I got a great idea, I could go out like fucking MJ, on the top of my profession, in my prime, or I can go out like fucking Evander Hollyfield war torn and beaten with everyone saying back in the day he was the man.  I mean sometimes enough is a fucking enough.  I am a true believer; I have a shrine built in my room to the fucking show.  Two posters, look motherfucker I want to believe ok.  But some things just have to be brought to an end.  Like Rypkins streak, I mean the iron man was stud playing ever day for however long, but hey he even got a little fucking tired and said "enough".  Chris however coming of some outrageously successful shows "Millennium" and "Harsh Realm" which do not get me fucking wrong was the greatest show to only air three episodes I have ever seen, seems to think he has what it takes to out last his creation.  Give me a fucking break.  One thing and one thing only made the X-Files and that was David Duchovony, yea it was not his great acting either, has anyone witnessed the amazing piece he did in "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead"?  Now it was his presentation of the great Agent Mulder, that made that show.  The preposterous theories, the simple fact that he could find the paranormal in a bulimic person throwing up.  I mean get fucking real, he was great.  But Chris is doing something people can only learn the hard way, and it is unfortunate that he will even attempt replace Fox.    

No comments:

Post a Comment