Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sometimes you have to call the audible!



Sometimes you have to call the audible!

Sometimes, things don’t go according to plan, even if the plan is as simple as going to the nearest grocery store and picking up the food for the meal plan you spent the morning making.  It’s like that.  I have another 2 lbs. to loose to be the lightest I have been in years.  So, I want to have a successful week, one that is well planned out, and one that has several healthy options laid out so that I can be successful.  Look, I am not sure if I will get these by next Saturday or not, I won’t if I eat like I did last night that is for sure.

After a week of feeling a lot of stress, and being down, I rebounded strong on Friday for the most part.  Whilst I was a little obsessive, overall I had pulled the head from my ass.  I went to the pool Friday and Saturday and for all intensive purposes, I will make an appearance there tonight barring any hot wild parties breaking out, or a flood, I mean it is coming down in buckets out there. I have my door open it sound nice.  So, I would good show Billy b, your on track.  However, the truth is I got low last night.  Really, low even after a great swim, and in a moment of weakness, I order Chinese food for the first time in a long, long time.  Now, I won’t call this binge, because it wasn’t, I mean I didn’t order two of everything or anything like that, I just ate the Chinese.  I had beef, and little chow mien (I thru most of it away) and some pot stickers (god I love me some pot stickers).  Overall the meal was not all the gratifying and I have spent the better part of the last 8 hours saying to myself, I can’t believe I just ate Chinese, or this a.m. I can’t believe I had Chinese.  I am glad it didn’t hurt my tum as bad as it could have.  And I won’t be ordering it again any time soon.  I think I got my fix last night that will last me a long time.  Gabe always tells me you have to allow yourself some cheats and be ok with it.  He has eaten a paleo diet on and off for a while.  I firmly believe one can, go off course and get right back on, but he also said you have to be ok with it.  Truth be told, I wasn’t ok with it, it only made me feel worse.  So, next time I feel low, I am coming to this blog and writing what ever is in my mind and heart.  I feel like I have gotten away from that a little bit.

So, this morning I woke up early to the pounding rain.  I do what I do every morning, play a game of candy crush, I stalk on facebook, and I checked my email.  Then, after saying I can’t believe I ate Chinese 30 times; I sat down and made a plan to be successful.

I wanted to slow cook one thing, and then come up with some easy dinners so that I could cook each night when I got home, because it helps me relax and unwind so much, and quite frankly, it makes me happy =0).  I think that is what was missing the most from last night.  So, I hit the World Wide Web and searched, and I searched, trying to find something that wasn’t any version of a pulled pork or chicken.  I need to stop pulling it for a while (ha ha, I can’t believe I just said that and wasn’t being dirty.)

This was the pan I came up with:

- Sunday night: Pizza (home made with Vegan Cheese)
- Monday: Smoothie for breakfast (made Sunday night), Ham Sandwich for lunch on Monday and well every day this week, b/c I was going to slow cook a ham and eat that son of a bitch all week!)  Dinner Fajitas, with home made tortillas.
- Tuesday: Breakfast Smoothie, lunch would be ham on paleo bread, and dinner marinated chicken boob with broccoli.
- Wednesday: Breakfast Smoothie, lunch would be ham on paleo bread, and dinner would be a pork chop with mixed veggies.
- Thursday: Breakfast Smoothie, lunch would be ham on paleo bread, and dinner I would have steak fajitas, with home made tortillas.
- Friday: Breakfast Smoothie, lunch would be ham on paleo bread, and dinner another homemade pizza.
- Saturday will be a play it by ear… and start prepping for the next week…

I thought this was a pretty good plan, right!  And everything went well at Trader Joe’s.  Found everything I needed.  Then we went to Lunardi’s and the plan started to break down fast.  First, I was shopping for a 2-3 pound sugar free ham.  This was not easy to find, and guess what, I left without one.  Poor me, poor me and this is where the audible came into play.

I walked the meet counter, and I got exactly what I needed.  I got 1 pound of fajitas meat, chicken boob.  Then, one marinated half chicken breast, Cajun style, that sounds fun doesn’t it.  Then, I started talking to the guy about ham.  Well, first off every ham he showed me was at least 5 lbs.  That dog won’t hunt, as I would be eating ham for a month if I got a 5 pounder.  Then he told me he had a natural ham in back and when he brought it out it was 10 pounds.  I felt my heart start to sink.  He then told me to come look at other cuts of pig.  I had seen them and cooked them all before and they all would fall apart and that would not be what I wanted. So, after wasting a ton of this mans time, I just asked him to give me some pork jobs and I went on my way.

This is when I was struck by the idea, that maybe, just maybe there might be a ham in the deli that could work.  Something sugar free and low in sodium.  I know I am smoking crack all pig is high in the sodium, but hey, a guy can dream can’t he?

The poor lady who helped me at the deli, had to look at every ham and tell me the contents of sugar, and salt.  I think she showed me five different hams.  I was getting ready to settle, when I just asked do you have a sugar free Turkey with low salt content?  And thus the audible was called.  Now, this wasn’t a glamorous Peyton Manning Audible.  However, it was a change at the line of scrimmage and it would take my lunch in a different direction.  If it works this week, I will be a genius, but if not, then, well, who knows, but I feel confident in the call.

It just so happened they had a dry, slow roasted breast of turkey that Lunardi’s doesn’t add anything to.  The lady said it would be a little dryer than most turkeys and taste more like a Thanksgiving turkey, and I said that would be grand!  So, I am pretty excited to be having paleo turkey sandwiches for lunch this week.  I have mustard going on the side, then a special secret ingredient, and am thinking about making some roasted red pepper spread to add to the bread too.  That would be nice, I think.  I never know making a sandwich could be so fun =)

No comments:

Post a Comment