Monday, August 24, 2015

14 hour smoke, a quiche, and my first date with....



Yesterday I smoked my first Pork Shoulder.  I worked that smoker for 14 plus hours until my meat was done.  Below is the tale about my adventure in smoking, making a quiche in my down time, and keeping my first date with myself tonight by writing this blog =)  Hey, you have to start some where right.

Step 1: Feed the beast


"There's a dragon with matches that's loose on the town
Takes a whole pail of water just to cool him down."
Fire! Fire on the mountain, The Grateful Dead


It is like a fiery dragon when it starts.  The smoke rolls out in waves and you stand and wonder just what in the hell are you really doing playing with such a machine.  However, you push on because after all there was meat to cook.

Step 2:  The Meat




Remember on Saturday I told you I wrapped my mustard and rub covered meat up in plastic and stuck it in the fridge.  I got up at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning and took said meat out of the fridge and let it warm up for an hour, well ok, it was an hour an 15 minutes, i slept thru the 7 a.m. alarm, and shiner woke me when she realized breakfast wasn't served at 7 a.m. sharp.




Take picture of pellets you are using so El Beav can go pick some up.  After all this was  a 14 hour process, one can't rely on the pellets on hand.  This really serves point in what I was doing but, wanted to throw a shout out to el beav.



Unwrap meat and marvel at it in all of its glory.  The rub crusted up really nice.  I mean really nice.  I give it to thumbs for appearance along.



Take the meat outside and introduce it to the smoker.



Meat is on 7:30 a.m. only a half hour late.



Shiner ready to go get coffee and go on her morning ride.  Yes, that is what happens ever Saturday and Sunday she goes ape shit for a ride.  She loves to go out Meridian to Camden and go over the hill.


Step 3: Mop


1st mopping, 9:30.  Until yesterday I had never mopped anything.  It helps crust up the meat and keep the thing moist, or so I learned by googling mopping meat.  The directions say Mop, I mop.



She sat there most of the day as the pig smoked.  Even when we were in the bed room, her nose was at the door the entire time.  I bet the smells drove her crazy, because they pretty much drove me crazy!


Second Mopping, 11:30


Third Mopping, 2 P.M.  Did I mention I did this after walking five miles.  That is right 5 miles, I kicked ass.  I was over 3 mph the entire time.  I walked strong and had not pain in the legs.  It was the best distance I have done in a while.  I am doing my distance for sure.  I am not going to lie and say I felt awesome on Monday but less sore from the last time I did back to back mileage.  My ankle hurts but I will manage.  Although, I am falling asleep as I blog, but then again it is Monday and I am tired, but hey 5 miles whats up!  The kid is back baby!


Forth Mopping 4 P.M.  I didn't do anything this tim like walk 5 miles but I did laundry, dishes, prepped for quiche, and walked the dog.


Fifth Mopping 6 P.M.  - at this point I think I stopped taking pictures of mopping.


Step 4: The Beav and the Quiche



El Beav and Puppy chilling on the couch.  But only after I put Beav to work helping me pet the quiche.  After all I needed some to chop the peppers and cook the bacon.  Although the grill totally exploded on him.  My grill is turning evil perhaps I should stop talking trash about it and talking about great the Smoker.  Or maybe a jealous grill is just a good idea for  Stephen King Novel.  



So, I made my quiche.  Looks good doesn't it!  This is what I did.  I took 8 eggs, 1 chili pepper, 1 red onion, 1 thing of chedder cashew cheese, fire roasted tomatoes, and 8 strips of crispy bacon and I mixed into a 9" pie pan, mmmmm pie, and 45 minutes later, we have quiche. now I had this shit for breakfast this a.m. and I may never eat anything else but quiche again for the rest of my life it was fucking awesome!  I give it two thumbs up I must say.


Step 5: Pulling my meat



7:30 and I hadn't reach the desired temperature of 190.  So, I mopped it again and let it keep going.



at 9:30 and a 170 degrees, and discussions with el beav, we decided to pull the meat.  It was cook. It looked good, and 14 hours on a smoker is a long as time.



I am not going to lie the meat looked fucking awesome.  Really awesome!  I was so excited.


So after 14 hours I finally got to pull my meat.  It was really, really good pork.

It is up there with the 16 hours hawaiin pig, but you can taste a difference.  One isn't better or worse than the other, you can just tell they are prepared a lot differently.

I am thinking the next time I do this recipe though, I m going to inject the meat some honey butter or something to keep mixing it up.

I have to myself two thumbs up for the cooking this weekend I was very pleased.  Very pleased with the food all was good!

Well this completes my first date with myself.  Where I set time aside and not matter what or how tired I am, I go sit down and do what I said I was going to do and what I enjoyed.  I will spend some time reflecting on it now and then it is time for night nights.

what am I going to do for myself tomorrow.  I am not sure..  either a date in the gym with some weights, or swim sounds nice, who knows... also what is next up on the smoker?  ham? chicken?  Turkey boob?  pizza?  I Can't say.  Then again I have 6 days to think about that.

happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment