Friday, July 28, 2017

This I Love





“And the Tower is closer...
Excerpt From: Stephen King. “The Drawing of the Three.” 


I have mentioned “The Tower” in my blogs more times than I can possibly count.  Talking about my Tower has become second nature to me.  To me the Tower is so much more than an object that King went on and on about in over 19 books.  Sure, I loved the story of agent Gunslinger last of his line, finding a new family to love, and getting another chance to right the wrongs of his dark past.  So much of who I am and who I want to be is based on the redemption that Eddie Dean went through over the course of seven novels.  My true religious believe system is based on the Dark Tower and Ka.  I am so intertwined with the books they have become precious to me. 


Now we are a week away from the movie coming out.  A movie I have waited years for.  However, I am not optimistic. As a matter of fact I am quite scared about it.  I am not going to lie, it looks, well it looks, awful.  They are taking some very sacred things from the books and slamming it in your face. 


Let’s set a few things straight out of the gate.  First I have no issue that they have changed the story up.  The book is written as cycular.    So the story is supposed to keep growing and change over time.  Each time the Gunslinger is supposed to get a little better, just a little better than before.  Get a little closer.  His real tower is not the tower at all, it is finding a way to get his Ka-tet to the tower.  His challenge is to stop getting everyone he loves killed but get them to safety.  So each time he take this journey he get just a slight bit better than before.


Also, I have no issue that the man playing the character looks nothing like the basis of the gunslinger.  Who is the man with no name, the legend that Eastwood created. I think Idris Elba is an amazing Gunslinger.  I have no idea swapping out the man with blue bombardier’s eyes with Idris.  I think he is an amazing actor, and I can buy him as Roland of Gilead.  I really can.  I was fine with that.


What I was not fine with is the trailer and the complete bastardization of the story.  Things are happening in the opening sequence of this story that simply doesn’t belong.  I realize there isn’t enough in the first book to make a complete movie around.  However, to change it so radically and to make things learned over a long journey a basis for trying to sell movie, is just crap. 


It is times like these I am so frustrated I didn’t do more with my life and become the creative force I know I should be.  I know how this story should be told.  I know what people need to see and it is not the clown show that they are showing right now in these commercials and trailers. 


I think this is going to be bad, like Ghost Rider, and Last Air bender bad.  I want to be wrong. I keep telling myself to give it a chance.  To let it run its course and understand it is not my story.  Not the one that I love.  It is not the one that has been the back bone of the person who I am. 


I am not sure why I feel the need to blog about this.  Other than to let people know this isn’t what I have built a path to redemption around.  Perhaps it is me actually thinking people would actually see this movie then think what the fuck that is wrong with Billy b and why would he hold this thing so dear.  Maybe I feel a need to distance myself form it a little bit.  Or maybe it is just because I care so much about the story.  That I want it done right and it deserves to done right. 


I don’t know… perhaps it is the Tower and I just wanted to right about it.  Because after all it is this I love…

No comments:

Post a Comment