Sunday, September 20, 2015

Matters of the Gut II: Saxenda or at-a-enda?



18 days in a row I injected myself with Saxenda.  In that time, I lost 10 pounds.  Anyone can see that is good math.  Over the last 7 days I really started to see a difference.  Last week was arguably one of the hardest of my life.  I can't really go into it because not all of it is my tale to spin and I have to respect that.  I got it from all aspects of my life home, personal, professional, etc... However, not once last week did I use.  Not once last week did I over eat.  Food seemingly become what it should have always been to me a means to survive.  I worked out.  I walked.  I lost 6 pounds last week. I have to think a lot of that was due to the drug.  So, I can't even begin to tell you how upset I was when I found out my insurance would not cover Saxenda.  However I was even more disappointed when I found out that if I wanted to buy it myself it would be $1,200 per month.  Yes, to do a year of Saxenda without insurance would cost me $14K per year (A flexible spending account won't even cover that).  I tried to sign up for Saxenda discount card but it only works if your primary insurance will cover it.  When I called the insurance company it turns out they just don't cover weight loss drugs on my program.  So, I was total down when the doctor said go to your pharmacy and ask them if Qsymia would interact with any of your meds.  I was disappointed how quickly the doctor would just switch from one med to another. It was a bigger bummer when I talked to the pharmacist and she said as long as I am on my BP meds, I can't take Qsymia.  I am not sure there is any other alternatives for me medication wise.  Not only is my BP an issue but my issues with depression and anxiety also limit what drugs I can take.  There is an outside chance that coverage might achieved, my company is trying, so I am crossing my fingers, but I am not hopeful. 

So, inevitably the question becomes what is next?  I am a confused fatman to tell you the truth, because I don't know what is next.  As much as I wan to say eating slow and drinking water was super helpful to the cause, I don't think it was what really carried the day.  I have been working really hard to make my meals smaller and stick to 1800 calories, but I do think the tag team partner of the injections really helped with that.  I could always pay out of pocket.  I'd have to make some sacrifices, and change some 401K and ESPP contributions but maybe could afford it? It would be tough, but perhaps I could? 

I have been off the med for two days now.  I have controlled my eating.  I have continued to eat slow and drink a ton of water.  It seems to be helping.  I have not been as hungry. I am eating slow.  I ate dinner slower than both Rachel and David on national cheeseburger day Friday.  I was very proud of myself. 

So, there is hope. I wouldn't be the first person to be successful on a 1800 calorie a day diet.  I am still make better food choices. 

I am going to give it a try to do it on my own.  I am going to cross my fingers and hope the insurance company can help me out.  However, if I can't keep up then we will have to re-access our options.

Well off to make my smoked bacon quiche....at 200 calories per slice it has been a clutch way to start the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment