Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Page 153


Book of 2016
- Page 153 - 

There are two people in the world that I know that can pull off the Canadian Tuxedo.  My dad is one and the other will remain nameless at this time.  However, when Doc went to the office today he rocked head to toe denim.  


The Cloffins above in the lead are really, really uncomfortable.  I don't know if cloffins is spelled right or not.  However, my dad always called wooden shoes cloffins.  He said it was german for wooden shoes.  Now google tells me German for Wooden Shoes is actually "Holzschuh"  So, I tried clogs and I got "Verstopfen".  I tried dutch as well and got nothing.  So, I am thinking Cloffin is a Northen Indiana German American word for wooden shoe.  So the question really becomes why in the hell is the fat man wearing wooden shoes?  Or is the question why in the hell would we even have wooden shoes that had Doc written across them.  Well like most things in Terre Haute it has a story.  When I was 21 I was going to live in the Netherlands, home of the wooden shoes.  My Dad told me repeatedly for 5 months that I was going to go get Cloffins in Holland.  My brother Ding got on a kick that I was going to visit a lot of brothels in Holland since it was legal there.  He even started a dance that he would sing and dance too called "Teddy's (b/c he assumed all the ladies in the night wore teddy's) on my head and cloffins on my feet!"  This song like my dad's talking about cloffins went on for 5 or 6 months.  It was danced at  my 21st birthday, Thanksgiving, it was sung and danced at Xmas too!  I am sure if I asked him nicely now he would break out today.  Anyway, when I was living in Europe I found a pair of real wooden shoes.  I both them and had Doc burned into them and gave them to him upon his arrival in the Netherlands.  How did I know that for 19 years him and my mom would use those wooden shoes to go get the news paper every day.  I didn't but they have become a member of the family at this point.  So when Heidi asked me to get in the car and go with her to drop off her girls, and I had no shoes on, I turned to the family shoes the Cloffins.  I didn't do that dance. I didn't need to.  But damn they hurt your feet.  They are all wood.  There is no flex or give in them.  They are after all wooden shoes.  So, whenever we run a quick errand and I might have to get out of the car but most likely not, I throw the cloffins on my feet and we go. 

Tomorrow we are going to see a dr about some alternative therapies for dad.  He says he wants to try out some clinical trials and reach out to Mayo clinic, so I guess we are going to do that.  I think that is at 3 tomorrow.

i really need to take a walk tomorrow. I have been averaging bad steps lately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment